Thursday, May 15, 2014

Passion and Purity~Patiently Waiting

Hello there! Just thought I would share with you a powerful book I've read, Passion and Purity by Elisabeth Elliot. This book has been on my "want to read" list for awhile now. My mom sent me a copy while I was up in Tennessee; I read a bit but never finished it until recently. Most of you may have read it before and are probably familiar with Elisabeth Elliot, wife to missionary martyr, Jim Elliot. Well I only "discovered" Mrs. Elliot and her prolific writing career within the past few years. I think one of the{many} downsides of  being taught in the public school system is that children miss out on all the great Christian authors that are out there. Anyway don't want to turn this into a post against public school so back to the book! ;) I loved the down to earth and "real" way Mrs. Elliot talks about her love and eventually courtship with Jim. She is not afraid to show that she is human. She shares the many struggles she had in her relationship with him. She is such a godly example of waiting patiently on the Lord. 
Not only was Passion and Purity an encouraging and informative book on waiting for my spouse but also on having patience in waiting on God in all areas of my life. Something I struggle with the most is waiting and trusting in God in difficult times, those times when I feel like my prayers should have already been answered. God is always there though...guided, strengthening, and growing me in my faith and love for Him. He is continually showing me that my timing is not His timing. He knows what He has planned for my life and it is above and beyond anything I could imagine! Indeed if I had my own way{and I'm so thankful that I have not} I would be married by now. However God knew, in His wisdom, that I have a lot more growing and learning in my life before I'm ready to entangle it with someone else's. So remember the next time you're plans are upset or things in life aren't going by your "schedule", God is still there. He is there listening to ever prayer you cry out to Him. When He doesn't answer right away He is giving you the privilege of growing in your faith. He is preparing, molding, and shaping you into the women of God He desires you to be! 

"Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct thy paths." ~Proverbs 3:5,6{KJV}~ 

"I do know that waiting on God requires the willingness to bear uncertainty, to carry within oneself the unanswered question, lifting the heart to God about it whenever it intrudes upon one's thoughts. It's easy to talk oneself into a decision that has no permanence- easier sometimes then to wait patiently." ~ Elisabeth Elliot~

"For I know the thoughts that I think towards to you, saith the Lord, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end." ~Jeremiah 29:11{KJV}~

Ever read Passion and Purity before? 
What is something God has been teaching you?
Have you ever made any plans or a
"schedule" for your life that God has{is} changing?
Please leave your comments below!
Love in Christ,
~Sarah~

P.S: Just want to add, this book does deal with some mature themes{in a tasteful way} so please use your own judgment when deciding if this book is right for you. 



10 comments:

  1. This sounds like a great book! I haven't read it before but now I'm interested in doing so. :) Thanks for the review.
    As with many young ladies at this time in life, I think God is also teaching me to wait on Him, be faithful where I'm at and trust Him with the future. Some days it definitely feels like "Well, what am I supposed to do next? What should I be preparing for?" But I know its ultimately in His hands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your so welcome! It seems waiting is one of the hardest things to do. Thanks for sharing that you struggle with it too; it's a blessing to know other young ladies are feeling the same things I am. It's an even better thought to know God knows how I feel!

      Delete
  2. hi Sarah,
    i have never read this book! i would really love too, but honestly i feel like its more of a 'grown up' book for girls older than me (though i'm 17 ha ha) i've always just figured i'd get to it sometime when i'm older. maybe soon is that time. will keep my eye out for it.
    ~Abigail

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The book does deal with things that I think only "grown up" girls should read. Whenever you decide to read it; I know it will give you some great advice!

      Delete
  3. Love Elisabeth Elliot! Truly inspiring. Purity and waiting are SO worth it. There was a time when I was experiencing so much anxiety regarding my (general) future and He gently taught me that He is in control. One night, I desired nothing but leaving it all in His hands. I experienced so much peace. Our Savior is so, so faithful. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen! Thanks so much for sharing Gabriela! :)

      Delete
  4. I've never read this book, but I've heard of it.
    My favorite book on purity is before you meet Prince Charming! Great book!
    Natasha
    A modest fashion blog:
    Www.natashaatkerson.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've also heard of that book and would love to read it!

      Delete
  5. I have not read about that book.!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you will decide to read it!

      Delete

Hello there! Please leave a comment because I love to hear from my readers. I do read every comment but might not respond right away.

Please, no spam. Also, if you have something mean to say, don't say it at all. Just keep it to yourself. Please think of others before you comment anything hurtful. Thank you!

In Christ,
~Sarah~